The November 17th TCC meeting was held virtually with approximately 38 people in attendance. It kicked off promptly at 6:30 pm with Co-Chair Ms. Sonja Szubski introducing the TCC Steering Committee and the evening’s special guest, new DeKalb County School District (DCSD) superintendent, Ms. Cheryl Watson-Harris, along with several members of her cabinet.
Also present on the call in their continued supportive nature were the District’s Region II Superintendent, Mr. Trenton Arnold, and DCSD Board of Education Region 4 Rep, Ms. Allyson Gevertz.
The meeting was dedicated to Ms. Watson Harris and her team answering pre submitted questions, that addressed, among other worthy topics:
- How the Distrct is continuing to monitor COVID 19 and its impact on staff and students returning to in-person learning
- Extensive communication efforts from Ms. Watson Harris and her team, with the objective of better outreach for stakeholder input, relationship building and community partnerships
- Opportunities for struggling virtual learners to make up ground
- How the Community Master Plan (CMP) will be rolled out next year for stakeholder input regarding redistricting issues to alleviate over crowding
- The STEM certification progress at THS and how principal Dr. Eric Parker is proactively pushing what he hopes to be a flagship model program for the state regarding cluster-wide recruitment of visionary leaders for career preparation
- Updates on the release of financial reports, bolstered cleaning supplies for every school in the cluster
The Q&A session was followed by a Principal’s Report, where most everyone shared resilience and success stories in lieu of the challenges virtual learning has presented
Ms. Allyson Gevertz followed the cluster’s amazing group of principals with an update regarding the new Smoke Rise Elementary school’s readiness for academic year 2021-2022, and the likely implementation of a traffic light on Hugh Howell Road at Flintstone Drive.
TCC Co-chairs Ms. Sonja Szubski and Ms. Erin Kirn concluded the meeting with gratitude for all in attendance, and requested more parent volunteers step up and take active roles in Tucker Cluster Council for sustainable leadership, ensuring continued of the organization.
TCC’s next meeting is planned to be virtual, held on Tuesday, February 16th, 2021 at 6:30PM.
Ms. Erin Kirn adjourned the meeting at 7:51PM.
Virtual Meeting Notes as Recorded by Mr. Rich Benevento.