Cluster Alliance Meeting Notes for March 13, 2018 – Midvale School
Thank you to those of you who were able to attend the Cluster Alliance of Tucker meeting at Midvale Elementary. The meeting was informative and filled with lively discussion regarding a number of items.
- 1.Public Comments: Sonja Szubski, our City-Community Connector shared news regarding the use of the City Calendar and encouraged others to post their events to the calendar. Guy Van Ort, Midvale PAC member, invited all to come and help with the grounds at Midvale Elementary this past Saturday.
- Our Tucker Cluster SWOT results were touched upon and may be found here. If you’d like to submit any additional items, please email them to us.
- A Best Practice was shared by Rich Benevento. Rich reported on the Parent to Parent forum he has led for the past 6 years at Livsey Elementary. Please contact us or Rich at email@example.com with questions on how to set up such a forum at your school.
- Eric Knapp presented his idea for a Tucker STEM Foundation and asked for feedback. The group seemed to prefer having a more encompassing Foundation so that other needs could also be met under the umbrella of such a Foundation.
- Additionally, Mr. Knapp addressed the need for a K-12 STEM pipeline. STEM teachers within the Tucker Cluster have not been able to meet and therefore don’t know what each school is offering regarding STEM. There is unintentional overlap in curriculum due to the lack of communication. It is desirable that the STEM Coordinators/Leads be able to meet during the school day to talk about their needs and how they might work together to serve all students. There is desire for the county to provide funds for substitutes as well as funding for further training for teachers regarding STEM.
Click here for the STEM Feedback survey that is available to any stakeholder who wishes to submit an opinion on the state of STEM within our Cluster as well as within the county. Please send us your thoughts.
Principals and PTA/PTO/PACs-We are asking every Tucker Cluster school to please send the link to the STEM Feedback survey to your stakeholders via Facebook, Class Dojo, Email, Mailchimp, Constant Contact, posting to their school Website and/or any other means, so we may gather opinions/thoughts on the subject of STEM. We have extended the availability of the survey through March 30th.
Tucker Cluster Representatives will gather data from the surveys to report at the next Cluster Alliance meeting as well as continue conversations regarding STEM and a possible Tucker Foundation formation. We will also work to engage the county in conversation regarding funds for substitutes and further STEM training for Coordinators/Leads/Teachers.
Download a printable version of these meeting notes/agenda here.